SwitchGear Brewing started up in 2017, bringing Elkhart Lake’s unique racing history to life as they brew up a variety of craft beers. Located in the historic Feed Mill Shops downtown, SwitchGear sits right where race cars had a crucial turn as they once competed right in the streets of this charming little village. Today’s races take place just south of town at the legendary Road America track, but the downtown legacy lives on at SwitchGear.
Elkhart Lake has a history of natural beauty – courtesy in part of its namesake lake – along with the Osthoff Resort and a slew of world class restaurants, all in this village of just over 1,100. Popular with tourists, nature lovers, and racing fans alike, Elkhart Lake didn’t have a brewery until SwitchGear came in. The Tap Room is modern and industrial, with the motor theme looming large. If you order a flight, it will come in what looks like a shifter; historic photos dot the walls and you have the option of the bar, a roomy but still cozy seating area, or the outdoor patio in season.
Beers at SwitchGear include:
Year ‘Round selections:
- Pontoon Pounder, an American Wheat
- Resorter Red, a Red Ale
- Corner 5, a Smash Pale Ale
- Lead Foot, a 9.0% Scotch Ale
- Fat Cheeks, a Nut Brown Ale
Speciaties, Seasonals, and Limited Releases:
- Snub Nose Monkey, an IPA
- Blonde With No Name, a Blonde Ale (apparently with no name)
- Hot Blonde, a Jalapeno Watermelon Blonde Ale
- Grandmas Punch, a Hazy Milkshake IPA with lactose and orange puree
- It’s A Lake ‘Tang. a Hazy Milkshake IPA
- Buh Bye IPA, a dry-hopped IPA
- Due West IPA, a West Coast-style IPA
- Hugh Hefeweizen, yes, it’s a Hefeweizen
Other Wisconsin crafts beers are also available on tap (they have a lot of lines) as well as snacks.
You’ll find SwitchGear Brewing Company in the historic Feed Mill in downtown Elkhart Lake, just blocks off Highway 67.
Monday 5pm – 9pm
Thursday 5pm – 9pm
Friday 3pm – 9pm
Saturday 11am – 10pm
Sunday Noon – 6pm
SwitchGear Brewing Company Address:
44D Gottfried Street
Elkhart Lake, WI 53020